For centuries, gambling has been a part of our culture. Quebec’s residents recognize gambling as an entertaining and recreational activity.
In recent years, the province has experienced tremendous growth in online gambling, with Loto-Québec overseeing all betting activities.
Keep on reading to understand more about gambling in Quebec, its legality, popular games, and other crucial information.
History of gambling in Quebec
Quebecers have always cherished games of chance from the early days of French colonization. In fact, gambling in Quebec has a long and interesting history.
Throughout its history, gambling Quebec has passed through various regulations and prohibitions. However, such rules have not stopped players from indulging in their favorite pastimes. A few significant highlights from the history of gambling in Quebec include:
- In 1969, the government founded the Loto-Quebec Lottery Commission to oversee games of chance in Quebec. Currently, the lottery commission offers draw games, including the instant ones.
- Societe des casinos du Quebec (SCQ) became the first casino in the province to open in 1992. Since then, the industry has grown to include racetracks, bingo halls, and video lottery terminals (VLTs).
- In 2010, Loto-Quebec officially launched espacejeux.com as Quebec’s only regulated and monitored gambling site. The website offers various sports betting options, including poker and online casinos.
Is gambling legal in Quebec?
After the Criminal Code of Canada amendments allowed each province and region to regulate gambling, Quebec took action and introduced the game of chance.
In addition, Quebec made its own gambling rules and regulated online gambling under the Loto-Quebec lottery. Later, the lottery created the Espacejeux site as the only online gaming platform that offers players different types of legal gambling. Examples include poker, lotteries, casinos, horse race betting, sports betting, and bingo.
Besides, all gambling games and sports betting activities available in Espacejeux are legal. However, you must be at least 18 years to gamble on this site.
Popular gambling games in Quebec
Among the diverse sports betting games available in Quebec, players can try their hand at poker, video slots, blackjack, roulette, video poker, and baccarat. All these games have various playing styles, benefits, and rewards, cherished by players in Quebec.
Poker is the most popular casino game, and the casinos are always willing to provide private rooms and set up tournaments for regular players. The casinos cater not only to Texas Hold’em lovers but also to advocates of the popular table games baccarat and roulette.
In addition, video poker is a popular choice because it offers players the chance to win big payouts. Blackjack is always a player favorite as they like the fact that it is a game based on both luck and skill.
Is online gambling legal in Quebec?
Yes, online gambling in Quebec is legal. If you play using the official Espacejeux website or an offshore casino, the Quebec government has no right to track your online activities or gaming operators. So, it’s up to you to gamble responsibly.
Benefits of gambling in Quebec
Players can experience many benefits when gambling online in Quebec:
- One primary benefit is your winnings are not subject to tax deductions. So, you can keep all your profits.
- You can access gambling platforms from anywhere in Quebec using your smartphone devices.
- Espacejeux site has different gambling options and games such as casino games, bingo, poker, online slots, horse racing bets, etc. With all these options, you can easily bet on your favorite sports and enjoy your gambling activities.
- Quebec introduced protection laws and measures for the legal operations of online casino games. For instance, gambling using the licensed Espacejeux site assures players are safe when gambling.
Cons of gambling in Quebec
Dependency is one of the most common drawbacks experienced by many gamblers in Quebec. For instance, you might get tempted to deposit more money for gambling to enjoy bigger wins. However, if you are not careful, you might overspend your cash when wagering and experience financial instability.
Online gambling and casinos create excitement. However, they can also cause negative emotions and mental distress if you lose money while betting.
Always gamble responsibly
Quebec allows players to be at least 18 years to participate in online gambling activities. So, gamblers must always be willing to exercise control over their betting habits and never allow gambling to affect their lives negatively.
However, if you have gambling problems or know someone who needs help, you can find free helpline support. Just call 1 800 461 0140 or visit the aidejeu,.ca/en to get help with gambling issues and become a responsible player.
Summary gambling in Quebec
Gambling is a popular form of entertainment in Quebec, which will continue expanding in years to come. With various regulations and prohibitions in the history of Quebec gambling, there is an opportunity to gamble safely using the Espacejeux site.
Espacejeux provides many online gambling options, with plenty of games to wager. Besides, the minimum legal age for gambling is 18 years, requiring players to gamble responsibly. You can never go wrong if you choose Espacejeux to gamble online in Quebec today.